I know we all feel like we’re melting and all we want to do is cool off and for it to be Winter again but slow down peeps. I love Summer and I found a few “hacks” on how we can enjoy the heat without looking like a melted snowman.
- This may be a simple one but stay hydrated – if you don’t enjoy gulping down plain old water all day then buy some of your favourite squash to add some flavour
- Make sure to buy yourself a fan – you can’t survive a heatwave without one
- When you’re working in a sweaty office with no air con (like I was last year) make sure you bring your own little desk fan and some ice packs with your packed lunch – you never know when you might need them
- Make sure you always have sun cream with you – you can get pocket sun cream to make it even easier to fit into your bag or glove compartment
- Swap your duvet for a sheet: it’s way too hot for duvets so if you still feel like monsters are out to get you in the night, take the sheet off the duvet and sleep in that. Better yet, get yourself a fan and make a little wind tent
- Make sure you’ve got ice in the freezer!
- Keep the house/flat cool by shutting all curtains and blinds so the sun doesn’t get in
- Stay outside at night when it’s cooled down
- Go swimming to cool off
- Make sure you always have a water bottle handy when out and about – you don’t want to waste money or plastic
- If you work from home or use a laptop at work then buy a fan for your laptop as well so it doesn’t overheat
- Try to avoid hot or spicy food – now might be the time to start that salad diet!
- It’s not just us humans that are getting hot though; think of your pets, they can’t tell you they’re too hot. Make sure not to walk your dogs in this heat, not to leave them in a car or in the garden. You can also put ice in their water bowl to cool down, dogs love licking ice. Make sure to leave water bowls outside for your dog/cat and maybe out the front of your house in case an animal needs it
- It may sound awful but take a cold shower and let your hair dry on its own
- It’s always time for ice lollies!
- Make sure to wear sandals and flip flops as much as possible as well as having an umbrella or parasol because your feet and head are where all the heat gets trapped in
- Don’t leave doors and windows open as once the warmth gets in your house will become a suntrap
- Make sure to eat lots of fruit in order to keep hydrated e.g. watermelons, nectarines, grapes and peaches
That’s all for now folks! What are some tips/hacks you know of to keep cool in this heat? Let me know in the comments!