Do I have to pay social security


For that you need a social security number. If you do not have one yet, you can apply for one from your health insurance company or directly from the pension insurance company.

In addition to taxes, social security contributions are also deducted from your gross salary. Your employer has to pay some of the cost of yours. Expect to deduct around 20% of your gross salary for social security contributions.

You can find out more about taxes here.

Health insurance
Health insurance is compulsory in Germany. Even as a foreigner or EU citizen, you almost always need German health insurance if you are staying here for a longer period of time. As an employee or trainee, you become a member of a statutory health insurance company. You can register with a health insurance company of your choice as soon as you know who your employer will be.
For female employees, the monthly contribution to the statutory health insurance is 14.6% of your gross wages. You and your employer each pay 7.3% of this. In addition, the health insurance companies can charge an additional fee. On average, this contribution is around 1.1% that you have to pay as an employee.
If you previously had family insurance through your husband, as an employee you must take out your own health insurance.

As a student, you must have health insurance in order to be able to take one in Germany. The statutory health insurance companies have a uniform tariff for students.

As an EU citizen, you can become a member of the statutory health insurance even if you do not have a job that is subject to social security contributions. To do this, you must have previously been a member.

In all other cases, taking out private health insurance is the only option. However, this is often associated with high monthly costs.

care insurance
Long-term care insurance protects you against the consequences of the need for long-term care. Anyone who has health insurance (whether statutory or private) is automatically covered by long-term care insurance. As an employee subject to compulsory insurance, you pay 2.55% of the gross wage: you pay 1.275%, your employer 1.275%. Childless employees aged 23 and over pay 0.25% more.

Pension insurance
As an employee or trainee, you are compulsorily insured. The monthly contribution is currently 18.7% of the gross wage: 9.35% you pay and 9.35% your employer.
The times when you looked after your family also count for the calculation of your pension. You will be credited three years for bringing up a child (two years for children born before 1992). Time can also be credited to caring for a relative if you look after your relative for at least 14 hours a week.

unemployment insurance
This is compulsory insurance for all employees subject to social security contributions. It amounts to 3.0% of the gross wage: 1.5% you pay and 1.5% your employer
In the event of one, you will receive support from the employment agency. You can normally only receive (ALG 1) if you have paid unemployment insurance contributions for at least 12 months in the last two years.
If you are caring for a family member, you can take out voluntary insurance.
Accident insurance
This insurance comes into effect if you should have an accident at work, including accidents on the way to and from work and occupational diseases.
The employer pays the accident insurance alone.
Children who attend a day care center as well as schoolchildren and students are also insured against accidents.

Special features of mini jobs
As a social security contribution, you pay a contribution of 3.9 percent or 13.9 percent (for mini-jobs in private households) of your wages as a pension insurance contribution. Your employer has to register you with the mini job center and pays pension and health insurance, income tax and accident insurance for you. The employer only has to pay lump-sum health insurance contributions if you have statutory health insurance in Germany. A mini job can be a first step back into professional life. However, a mini-job and the application of German legal provisions may have negative effects on your social security and / or that of your co-insured relatives. Before taking up employment in Germany, find out from your own offices what effects (marginal) employment will have on your social security if you (and your relatives) are, for example, B. have health insurance in your home country.
In the event of illness, vacation and public holidays, you have the right to continue to receive your wages. For short-term mini jobs (less than 50 working days or less than 2 months), the employer does not have to pay pension and health insurance.