Which is the best preposition
The meaning of the prepositions: under
The case of under
a.) with local importance
The prepositionunder is an alternating preposition with local meaning: Wenn underdescribes a position (= where?) under used with dative. If under describes a direction (= where?) becomes under used with accusative.
[Position (where?) -> under + Dative]
[Direction (where?) -> under + Accusative]
Example: local -> under + Dative / + accusative
the desk: under the desk/under the desk
the window: under the window/under the window
the Bank: under the bank/under the Bank
The meaning of under
The preposition denotes in a local sense under a position or a direction.
Example: under - position (where?) -> + dative
Position: Where is the trash? -> The trash can under the desk.
Example: under - direction (where?) -> + accusative
Direction: Where do you put the trash? -> I put the trash under the desk.
The preposition under marks a certain (partial) amount. This meaning of under can also use the preposition of be expressed.
Example: under (modal)
Under 500 students she had the best exam.
=From 500 students she had the best exam.
Among the students There are many foreigners at the Musterdorf secondary school.
=From the students There are many foreigners at the Musterdorf secondary school.
b.) Name of the management
With the help of the preposition under the head of an institution is named.
The Berlin Philharmonic under (the direction) of Herbert von Karajan.
Under the old coach the team played better football.
Under Charlemagne the Franconian Empire was united.
These laws were under the SPD government adopted.
c.) in permanent connections
Under also occurs in some permanent connections: under certain circumstances (= maybe), provided that (= if), under the condition that (= if),
I may be able to help you.
= Maybe I can help you
Example: on condition that
On the condition that you get home on time, you can go to the party.
= If you get home on time, you can go to the party.
Attention: In the meaning "less than" can under can also be used adverbially.
Example: under (adverbial)
The trip to Berlin takes time under six hours.
= The journey lasted less than six hours.
Back to the overview: The meaning of the prepositions
- Can Russian doctors work in Europe
- What decides a person worth
- How can you say that you are successful
- What is the meaning of delivered
- Do Quora Live Meetups in London
- What damages cell phone chargers
- Where can I buy DU LLB books
- How do you debate like Ben Shapiro
- Is Seroquel safe?
- Where can I go snowmobiling in Ontario
- Monkeys indians western culture
- What is a fire fighting course
- Offer solutions for the customer experience
- Buy money options
- What is ironic about ironic Baerten
- Why are there poachers
- Why do you hate Obama 1
- Who was the first DG of the NCC
- Is garlic bad for acne
- Why is a BBA important
- Should google pay people to use google
- Are there any additions that will make you fart
- Why are Monotreme unique mammals
- Can a wool carpet get wet?