Is TikTok really just Vine 2 0
TikTok - Selfie 2.0 or an opportunity for companies?
When it comes to online advertising, the choice is usually either Google or Facebook. Both players are also happy to be covered at the same time. But there is a new marketing player who is particularly worthwhile as a marketing tool for a young target group: the TikTok social video app.
TikTok on the rise
What began a few years ago with Facebook, Instagram and Youtube has now reached its social media peak thanks to TikTok. The media self-portrayal takes place at TikTok in the form of short, self-made videos, which users can then add their favorite music to. Mainly creative and funny videos are created. What is special about the videos is that they can only have a maximum length of up to one minute and that they can be shared with other users. A variety of pieces of music, effects and challenges can be used to create a playback video for your favorite song, for example, or to tell something about yourself (#dasbinich).
Data and facts about TikTok
TikTok was founded by the Chinese company Bytedance at the end of 2016. In 2017 it was merged with the well-known Musical.ly app. The reasons for this were not only the combination and thus the increase in the number of users, but also the development of simple lip syncing videos through to an own social media entertainment platform. In addition to music videos, vlogs and comedy are also to be offered. A brief overview of facts and figures can be found here:
Users, Downloads and Growth
Within just one year, TikTok had almost 500 million active users per month. The counterpart Musical.ly, a lip-syncing application that was bought by ByteDance in 2018 and merged with TikTok, reached “only” 100 million active users per month in comparison. This makes TikTok the third most downloaded app worldwide at the beginning of 2019. By February 2019, TikTok had around 1 billion downloads, beating Instagram and Facebook in app stores.
- Around 50% of TikTok users worldwide are under 34 years old, 26% are between 18 and 24 years old. (MarketingCharts)
- A little more than one in eight adults has joined TikTok. (MarketingCharts)
- 56% of TikTok users are male. (AppApeLab)
- TikTok is already available in 155 countries. (Oberlo)
- Over 500 million of TikTok's monthly active users are Chinese. (AdAge)
- The app has 26.5 million monthly active users in the US (Digiday)
If you open the TikTok app, you will receive videos in your feed that have been curated around your interests according to an algorithm. If you like a video, you can share and comment on it directly in the post. Since the videos last between 15 seconds and a minute, the app is ideal for the morning train ride to work or during the lunch break. From my own experience, however, you can quickly spend more time than planned with TikTok, because you just can't get enough of the videos and they are entertaining entertainment.
- The average user spends 52 minutes a day on TikTok. (BusinessOfApps)
- 90% of TikTok users visit the app more than once a day. (GlobalWebIndex)
- Users open the app an average of eight times a day. (Digiday)
- TikTok claims that the average session is almost 5 minutes, which is longer than Snapchat or Instagram. (Digiday)
Just like YouTube, Vine, Instagram or other video applications, TikTok can become a stepping stone to success for influencers, comedians, meme creators or even brands.
- The most followed person on TikTok is a comedian and influencer named Loren Gray. She has 34.4 million followers. (TikTok)
- One of the earliest branded hashtag challenges was the #InMyDenimChallenge by Guess. According to TikTok, videos tagged with this hashtag have received a total of 38.8 million views. (TikTok)
- Rapper Lil Nas X attributes the success of his song "Old Town Road" to TikTok. The song was lifted to # 1 on the Billboard Top 100 in 2019 after the artist uploaded it to TikTok. (BuzzFeed News)
TikTok as an advertising platform
TikTok is hardly or not at all known to many as a social platform or even for advertising purposes. But just like Facebook or Instagram, TikTok is also interesting as an advertising platform for companies. It is still only known to a few advertisers, so fewer competitors will vie for the target group's attention. Another advantage is the steadily increasing number of users, the relatively long length of stay and the young community. This offers a variety of opportunities for marketing. Since TikTok doesn't allow hyperlinks to the websites, the first step is for companies to focus on building brand awareness rather than leads or traffic. TikTok currently offers various advertising concepts for this.
One example is the so-called brand hashtag challenge, which is said to cost up to $ 150,000 a day. Some big brands, such as Chipotle and the Washington Post, are already using the platform extensively to reach new audiences. The Guess brand also stands out for its creative and viral videos. With the #inMyDenimChallenge, Guess has encouraged TikTok users to shoot a music video while wearing Guess' new line of denim. The platform is mostly used to share comedic contributions with users, but serious messages can also be conveyed in the short videos to raise awareness of more serious issues such as global warming and world hunger. Another approach is through influencer marketing. Many entrepreneurs realize that influencers can be very valuable for the brand due to their awareness, their high level of commitment and their professional presentation. What has so far been used almost exclusively by large brands is intended to serve as an example or suggestion for smaller companies to discover and use this advertising platform for themselves.
- Why do some fish swim upstream?
- Machines can create art
- What is the difference between measuring tubes
- What is Spinner Chef in Article Writing
- Why is the capacitive reactance negative
- Uses the DSG automatic transmission oil
- There is enough variety in DC films
- Schools should ban lipstick
- When would you use the AHB protocol?
- What is Kalsharpa Yoga in Astrology
- Will Waze ever use OpenStreetMap data?
- Protects Malwarebytes from ransomware
- How do I learn data analysis online
- What are the examples of big data
- What words express disgust in Hungarian?
- What is Liberty University's relationship with libertarianism
- Are plants asexual?
- Why isn't WhatsApp restoring my chats
- How well can computers answer questions?
- What is the ecstatic state of life
- Who is your greatest hero and why
- How did mammoths move
- What are telecommunications companies doing
- What are the principles of distributed databases