How can we run a house cat
Getting your cat used to outdoors: the 5 best tips for success
A new cat family member is coming soon? You don't know yet whether your cat should be a house tiger or an outdoor cat? Or does your house cat feel a strong need for freedom? Find out now the advantages and disadvantages as well as tips and tricks on how to get your cat used to being outdoors.
Advantages and disadvantages of an outdoor cat
Many cat owners take their cat outdoors for granted. These advantages and disadvantages result from this:
|Advantages of an outdoor cat||Disadvantages of an outdoor cat|
|Your cat is ...||There is a higher risk of ...|
|More balanced||Poisoning from plants or poison baits|
|Less risk of obesity||External feeding|
|Less prone to disease||Loss of control|
|Diseases like fleas or parasites|
Outdoor cats may like their natural instincts as compared to house cats
- To hunt,
- Sneaking up and
act out. Indoor cats have a longer life expectancy because they are not exposed to the hazards listed above.
You have to weigh the pros and cons and decide for yourself whether you want to keep your cat outdoors or as an indoor cat. The advantages and disadvantages naturally apply vice versa for indoor cats.
Note however: If a cat has always been used to exercise and you want to keep it indoors, it will make it unhappy in the long run.
Are you aware of these 4 things in getting your cat used to being outdoors?
- 1. Health:
- Your cat must be vaccinated, chipped, and neutered to go outside. Chipping is very important, because if your cat disappears, the vet can read it out using a reader and find the owner. If you want to get your cat used to the exercise area, it will also need more vaccinations such as wormering.
- 2. Castration obligation:
- Only domestic cats and breeding animals are exempt from the castration obligation. Farm cats must be neutered. The castration obligation in Germany is regulated differently across the country.
- 3. Cost:
- Chipping, neutering and vaccination also result in higher veterinary costs for you. Especially when vaccinating your cat, you will not only have to incur one-off costs, but also ongoing costs due to the upcoming booster vaccinations.
- 4. Environment:
- It is not very advisable to throw your cat to the big city or highway as food. In these extreme cases, it is better to train your cat to be an indoor cat. Your cat is also exposed to cars, turf wars, sharp objects, etc., which in turn can cause injury.
It becomes problematic when your new home is near your old one. Your cat will try to return to its old territory and stay away from its new home. The reason behind this is your cat's sense of direction, because your cat is not yet used to the new home!
Keep kittens or cats moving in the house for at least 6 weeks for the acclimatization phase.
Did you know that: In Austria castration has recently been compulsory!
Step-by-step instructions: This is how you get your cat used to being outdoors
Before you start with the instructions, you can set up a cat flap. You can also get your cat used to a harness so that you can allow them to walk in a controlled manner.
An important requirement: A good relationship between animals and humans is a must. Build trust in your little big cat.
Follow these 6 steps to get your cat used to outdoors:
- Feed your cat less for the first few days. Hunger will drive you back home faster.
- Open the door and call your kitty over.
- Show your velvet paw the garden. Your cat will leave the front door curious, but will always seek eye contact with you.
- Your cat should now explore the garden.
- Keep your cat in view, or else lure them back with treats.
- Repeat the steps every day, expanding the area from day to day.
The first few days you can also get your cat used to a harness and go for a walk with her.
Expert tip from a veterinarian: Pay attention to the following things
- What is the best body pain spray
- How do employers see Texas State University
- Will CRISPR cause the end of mankind
- Should prostitution be legalized in India
- What's the most hated thing
- What does that mean by the way
- Who are some famous Massachusetts singers
- What do you think about pi
- Which artist recorded the song Exodus?
- How do I organize great birthday parties
- What is special about an embryo?
- What are the Best Amazon Certifications
- How do we stop trophy hunting
- Can masturbation increase my IQ
- There will be an increase in the number of voters in 2020
- What is the English word for Sasar
- Works well, badly
- Where can I download Photoshop from
- What are the features of GB WhatsApp
- A psychopath would be a good model
- Civil engineers are placed by IITs
- How helpful is sport for students
- What is UI development
- Does Kyoto Japan have a signature food