Are the SRM results of the first semester out?

The Application deadline for the winter semester 2021/22, due to Corona, it will be postponed to 31.07.2021.

At the Ostfalia College will the Lectures will be held in the summer semester of 2021 just like at the other universities in Lower Saxony Corona-relatedpredominantly in online formats occur.

1.1 What requirements do I need to be able to study?

You need one University entrance qualification ("HZB")that you can obtain through school or on the basis of professional qualifications (special quota).

You can find an overview of university access in Lower Saxony here.

Depending on the course of study, you may also need a Pre-study internship (see point 2.9).

Please read the information on admission when applying for a Study in a practice group (see point 7.3) or one of ours part-time courses. For our degree program Media design an artistic aptitude test is required.

1.2 "Fachhochschulreife (FHR)": What can I study with the FHR?

With the advanced technical college entrance qualification, you can take part in any University of Applied Sciences (FH) or University of Applied Sciences (HAW) apply for each course (see special admission criteria, if applicable).

To the Lower Saxony Universities or equivalent universities (e.g. artistic, medical), you can apply for courses that correspond to your subject-specific orientation of the FH-Reife. It is also possible to apply for the relevant vocational school teaching position.

1.3 Am I entitled to study with an extended secondary school leaving certificate and vocational training?

No, this qualification is not sufficient for a university entrance qualification.

Tip: Attend the one-year FOS (12th grade)!

1.4 Can I study without a high school diploma?

Yes, it is possible to study without a higher education entrance qualification. In Lower Saxony, various professional qualifications open the way to universities.

Some basic and advanced training courses allow unrestricted university access. In addition, at least three years of vocational training in connection with at least three years of professional experience in the profession is a higher education entrance qualification for a study in a related subject.

You can find an overview of university admissions in Lower Saxony here.

Further information is available at or on request by telephone directly from the staff at the matriculation office on 05331 939-77770.

1.5 University admission via immaturity examination

You can also start studying at a university in Lower Saxony with an examination for the acquisition of a subject-related university entrance qualification based on previous professional training.

The examination (also called Z-examination or immaturity examination) is taken for a self-selected course at a college of applied sciences or university, regardless of the previous professional orientation. It is a two-part examination that includes a general part and a special (subject-specific) part. As a rule, a preparatory course is required, which is offered by various adult education providers. The examinations of the general part are organized and accepted by these institutions, the examinations in the special part are organized and accepted by the relevant university.

Much more information about the exam and the providers of the preparatory courses can be found here.

Contact person for the special part at Ostfalia University:

Mrs. Lison
[email protected]
+49 (0)5331 939 15010


Note:  Successful completion of the immaturity examination does not guarantee you a place at the university. Afterwards, you initially only have the authorization to apply for a study place. You then go through the university's own award procedure, just like all other applicants.

1.6 Can I study with a foreign university entrance qualification (HZB)?

Bachelor applicants who did not acquire their higher education entrance qualification (HZB) in the Federal Republic of Germany and not at a German school abroad, please apply via:


Ostfalia University of Applied Sciences
c / o uni-assist e.V.
11507 Berlin

You can find more information and contacts on the website of the International Student Office: International Student Office

For a master’s degree, please apply directly via the Ostfalia online application portal.


2. Application, admission, NC

2.1 How can I apply? What are the deadlines?

Applications for a place at the Ostfalia can only be submitted via Online application. Written applications will no longer be accepted.

In the application portal, you have the option of submitting or changing your application by the application deadline. To do this, you need to register using your e-mail address. In due course, please refer to the information at for all further processes.


  • For some courses Prior registration with Hochschulstart is required (see guidelines for online application).
  • After you have entered the portal, click the button " Application confirmation"informed about the next steps. We therefore urge you to PRINT out the application confirmation.
  • For applicants with foreign educational qualification Separate regulations apply → International applications


Further information and contact options can be found on the website of the matriculation office.


Application for the winter semester:
Mid May to July 15th

Application for the summer semester:
Mid-November to January 15th

different deadlines:

The deadline for submitting the artistic portfolio in the course Media design ends on June 7th, 12:00 noon each year.

For applying for a Course in a practice group First of all, a contract for studying in a practice group with a company cooperating with Ostfalia is a prerequisite. Therefore, please note the company's application deadlines. (see also point 7.3)

With a few Masters courses there are also separate deadlines. You can find these on the respective information page for the degree program (see degree programs).


2.2 What to do if I only receive my certificate after the application deadline?

In order to complete the online application, the average grade of your university entrance qualification must be available and entered by you in the online form. As the date of obtaining the university entrance qualification, please enter the date of the application deadline, i.e. 15.07. for the winter semester (WS 21/22 Corona-related 31.7.21) or 15.01 for the summer semester.

2.3 How does the selection process work at Ostfalia?

There are admission-free and admission-restricted courses at Ostfalia. If you meet the requirements, you can be sure of a place in the admission-free degree programs, as there are enough places available. In the degree programs with restricted admission, however, there is only a limited number of places, so a selection process takes place in these degree programs as soon as more applications are received than there are places available.

The study places are allocated according to the following principles (in accordance with the Lower Saxony Allocation Ordinance):

Advance quotas:

First of all, various advance quotas are taken into account, including the admission rate based on professional qualifications (such as master craftsmen, technicians, state-certified business administrators and other professionally qualified persons). Up to 10% of the places are available for this group of people. The actual amount of the quota corresponds to the proportion of this group of people in the total number of applications for this course.

Main odds:

90 % of the remaining study places will be awarded after university selection process forgive. In this selection process, 40 percent of the study places are awarded based on the average grade (ranking list 1) of your university entrance qualification and 60 percent based on the particular suitability for the chosen course in connection with the above average grade (ranking list 2). Here you can improve your average grade on the basis of, for example, a vocational training with at least "good". You can find more criteria for improving your grade here. Usually there will be a large number of applicants with the same average grade. In the event of such an equality of rank, the waiting time (see below) is used as a subordinate classification criterion.

10 % the places are after waiting period (Ranking list 3) awarded. The waiting time is the time that has elapsed from the time of acquiring the university entrance qualification (HZB) to the application semester. The waiting time is counted in semesters. Only completed semesters (01.09.-28.02. Or 01.03.-31.08.) Count. Times in which you have studied are not counted towards the waiting time (see point 2.7).


If you have not already received a study place via the advance quotas, which is only the case with a few applicants, your application will be included in all three ranking lists (average grade, grade plus bonuses for special aptitude and waiting time). You can find these three ranking lists in the list of the previous ones Admission Limits (NCs) again (see point 2.5).

You can find further information on the allocation process in the brochure "Application information" from the matriculation office: Application information

2.4 For which courses are there special aptitude tests?

A special two-stage assessment procedure applies to applicants in the field of media design. In the first stage, a workbook is submitted. If this has been checked and assessed positively, an aptitude test is invited in the second stage.

Important: Due to this lengthy procedure, the deadline for submitting the workbook is June 7th, 12:00 p.m. of the year!

You can find all further information on applying for this degree program and portfolio advice here.

2.5 How high is the NC for my subject?

The admission limits of the previous selection procedure (point 2.3) on the three ranking lists reflect the grade (Numerus Clausus = NC) or waiting time of the applicant who was the last to be admitted to the course in the respective procedure. You can find these admission limits here.

These selection limits relate exclusively to previous semesters and can therefore only be viewed as a guide for future semesters. The actual selection limit for a pending procedure can only be to Completion of the selection process to be determined.

2.6 What can I study with my grade point average?

Are you planning to take up a degree, but your grade point average in the Abitur or your advanced technical college entrance qualification is not that cheap?


First of all, you should know that a distinction is made between admission-free and admission-restricted study programs:

Both Admission-free courses Everyone who has the prerequisites and who applies in due time receives a place on the course. You can find our admission-free courses under point 2.7.


For the courses with restricted admission there are generally more applicants than there are places available - a selection process must therefore be carried out (see point 2.3). We publish the results = admission limits of the previous selection process here.

Here you will notice that it can happen that the ratio of applicants to available study places is more or less balanced and that all of them can be admitted. You will also notice that there are courses in our range of courses that do not appear in the list of admission-free courses or in the list of admission limits (with the exception of courses in the practice group and the media design course [aptitude test]). These are courses with restricted admission, but so far no selection process has had to be carried out, as the number of applicants in each case did not exceed the number of places available.


If you have any questions about your study options or need advice, please contact the Central Student Advisory Service.

2.8 Are there “waiting lists” and what is meant by waiting time / semester?

The waiting period is the time that has elapsed from the time of acquiring the university entrance qualification (HZB) to the application semester. So it is looked at in retrospect. The waiting time is only counted in whole semesters (01.09.-28.02. Or 01.03.-31.08.). The half year in which the HZB was acquired is not taken into account as a waiting semester. Times in which you studied in Germany are also not counted towards the waiting time.


There are no waiting lists. There is one, however Admission rate after waiting time. You do NOT have to apply separately for this. Upon receipt of your application, any waiting time will be calculated by the university. Further information on the selection process can be found under point 2.3.

2.9 Is a pre-study internship required for my studies?

Pre-study internships at Ostfalia vary in scope for certain courses and must be completed by a defined point in time.

You can find guidelines for the individual pre-study internships in the brochure "Application Information".

3.1 What does a degree cost?

According to the Law to improve equal opportunities by abolishing and compensating tuition fees From the winter semester 2014/15, no tuition fees will be charged (any more). The costs for studying at Ostfalia differ in part at the four locations. The current semester fees can be found here.

3.2 What options do I have to finance my studies?

There are different ways of financing your studies. In order to find the right financing for you or for information on student loans, please contact our student finance advisory service.

In addition, the BAföG office also provides advice on the topic of BAföG.

You can find helpful information on the Internet at

3.3 When do long-term tuition fees apply?

Information on long-term tuition fees can be found here (below under "Long-term tuition fee waiver").


4. Recognition of achievements, change of course

4.1. I would like to change the course of study - what should I do?

A (new) application is required to change the degree program. The regular application deadlines also apply here (see point 2.1). If the subject is related to a subject, it may be possible to apply for a higher semester (see point 4.3).

If you would like to change to a course that is not related to your current course, you must apply for the first semester. For Ostfalia-internal applications, please contact the matriculation office regarding the formalities.

NOTE: A change of degree program could possibly affect your BAFöG entitlement - for detailed information, please contact the BAFöG department responsible for you in good time before the planned change.

If you need advice on choosing the right course, please contact the Central Student Advisory Service.

4.2. I want to change universities - what should I do?

If you would like to change from Ostfalia to another university, please contact the central student advisory service of the receiving university with regard to application and access questions.

When changing within your specialty You can apply to the Ostfalia from another university for the first or a higher semester.

Regarding applications for a different course of study when changing university to Ostfalia, see point 4.1 "Change of course".

For more information, please contact the matriculation office directly.

NOTE: A change of degree program could possibly affect your BAFöG entitlement - for detailed information, please contact the BAFöG department responsible for you well in advance of the planned change.