Spiders eat other spiders
Spiders also eat vegetarian food more often
Because of pure insectivores: spiders do not shy away from vegetarian food, as researchers have found out. When it is convenient, they also eat pollen, drink nectar or nibble on the leaf tissue of plants. And that is by no means only true for a few exceptions: representatives from ten different families also regularly have vegetarian food on their menu.
So far, spiders have been regarded as classic carnivores: the eight-legged predators either lurk in their webs for prey or go hunting themselves, like many tarantulas, for example. The females of some spider species, including the notorious black widow, do not even shy away from cannibalism and eat their mating partners after sex if they do not escape in time.
Vegetable diet improves chances of survival
However, Martin Nyffeler from the University of Basel and his colleagues have now shown that the spiders are by no means pure carnivores, as previously assumed. On the contrary: The animals like to supplement their menu with vegetarian food. An evaluation of previous studies and observations shows that representatives from ten different spider families regularly have vegetable foods on their menu.
“The ability to obtain nutrients from plants expands the nutritional basis of these animals,” explains Nyffeler. “This could be one of their survival mechanisms in order to survive times when insects are rare.” In addition, the vegetable accompaniment to the insect snack ensures that the spiders absorb a greater variety of nutrients - this is also an advantage in the fight for survival.
Global and versatile
The taste of the spider is quite varied: Depending on the species, the menu includes nectar, sap and honeydew, and sometimes leaf tissue, pollen and seeds. These plant parts can come from trees, bushes, grasses, ferns or orchids. The quantitative extent to which the vegetable diet forms part of the spider's diet is still largely unexplored.
But one thing is clear: the vegetarian excursions of the spiders are a global phenomenon. As the researchers found, this feeding behavior occurs on every continent except Antarctica. However, it seems to be more common in warmer regions. The reason for this could be that spiders often drink nectar as a supplement - and tropical plants produce a lot of it.
The jumping spiders have a particularly pronounced tendency towards vegetarianism, as the researchers report. This group of around 600 species accounts for up to 60 percent of all known cases of herbivorous spiders. (Journal of Arachnology, 2016; doi: 10.1636 / P15-45.1)
(University of Basel, March 14, 2016 - NPO)March 14, 2016
- Is there a PUBG Lite app
- What does risk premium mean when investing
- Do guinea pigs need a friend
- Which dilute acid is an oxidizing agent
- Is it wrong to fall in love
- Is sublime advertising moral or immoral
- Has KMC Manipal an MBBS course
- How are fantasy languages created
- Dermatologists recommend petroleum jelly
- How is parking in Mankato MN
- What do you know about Walt Whitman
- What is your name
- How does Penicillium Notatum kill bacteria
- How exhausting are 10-hour flights
- Why is leather used to make shoes
- Why are tuples heterogeneous
- What problems do novice bloggers have when blogging
- Which social media tool would you recommend
- What is taurine in energy drinks
- Have you ever been to Okinawa
- Did Hurricane Katrina make it to Canada?
- Is the environment important when learning
- Which language is this 2nd
- Are you a quaeker
- Are Blockchain Companies Really Trustworthy?
- What are some bad experiences with Amazon
- What are some pros and cons of eloping
- Will Lyrica kill you if you overdose
- How do I prevent gray hair
- How many MLAs are there in Odisha
- Have Amazon web services website templates
- Which automakers still build V12 engines?