How do I apply for zoology research
Target group entry
Navigation area University of Basel
Main navigation areaBeginning of the page content
Biology as the key science of the 21st century explores what life is and how it works, on all levels, from the molecule to the cell to the organism and entire ecosystems. Not only is the enormous range striking, but also that the various areas of biology are becoming more and more interlinked.
At a glance
|Art||Course of study|
|Start of studies||Fall semester|
|Normal period||6 semesters|
Dates and deadlines
Faculty of Philosophy and Natural SciencesRegistration for studies
Molecular biologists also study genes in entire organisms, and environmental biologists also study the molecular basis of ecosystems. In the biology course at the University of Basel, in contrast to biology lessons in school, students are prepared for research. It is no longer just about general knowledge, but especially about the acquisition of an in-depth, up-to-date and concentrated basis of theoretical and practical knowledge about organisms and life processes. The aim is to be able to use both the previously known and new, as yet untapped areas of knowledge to solve biological problems.
Focus of teaching and research
The course brings together the resources of the Department of Environmental Sciences (areas of botany, ecology and zoology) with those of the Biozentrum and the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH). Subject areas and focuses of research include physiological plant ecology and ecosystem research, quantitative nature conservation biology, ecological and genetic foundations of rapid evolutionary processes, emergence of biological diversity, plant health, cell and developmental biology, infection biology, neurobiology, structural biology & biophysics, computational & systems biology, epidemiology and Healthcare and Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology.
The Bachelor is the first degree before the Master. It comprises a total of 180 credit points (CP). The bachelor's degree in biology is a so-called mono course without additional subjects, but with three specializations (majors): molecular biology, animal and plant sciences, integrative biology and one elective area. One ECTS credit point corresponds to approximately 30 hours of work.
|Bachelor of Science (180 CP)|
|Course of study|
The courses of study of the Phil.-Nat. Faculties are basically single courses with specialization options and an elective area.
There is also the option of studying biology as an extra-faculty bachelor's and master's degree in a subject from the Faculty of Philosophy and History or as a second subject in sports science.
Postgraduate master’s courses
Six possible master’s programs (Master of Science, M Sc) are available after the bachelor’s program:
Further links and downloads
Found the right course of study?
Social media sharing
- How fast can you learn to play the guitar
- Do the English know that Shakespeare plagiarized Ovid
- How does tension affect our body?
- How dangerous is a tarantula bite
- What is a starting point for negotiations
- Misanthropy is unethical
- What are microrobots used for?
- What's the newest social media site
- I can't remember the title of the book
- How reliable is the Facebook chart search
- Which university is better UNC or NCSU
- How does Facebook use AutoML
- How is the drag force calculated
- Is head and neck cancer curable?
- Are cysts of concern
- Are you a hipster
- Marijuana was legalized in Portland ME
- What is microbial bio-terrorism
- University libraries usually accept book donations
- How to clone a tomato plant
- What gives tattoo shops their smell
- Is captchaclub com is a legitimate one
- What are the basics of math
- Old people were depressed
- What is the feeling in French
- How can I create a homemade WiFi
- What are magic squares used for?
- Why is a DCF valuation not considered leveraged?
- What is the molecular weight of HCl
- What causes tiny blisters on my fingers
- What is the ultimate narcissistic injury
- Which country has the longest postcodes
- Marriage really makes you happy