What is special about the Gujarati language
Gujarati (Gujarati: ગુજરાતી gujarātī f.) a North Indian New Indian language, one of the official national languages of the Republic of India (Bharat Ganarajya); a script common in Gujarat; a resident of Gujarat.
The Gujarati language
Together with Hindi, Marathi and Bengali, Gujarati belongs to the Indo-Aryan branch of the Indo-European languages. It developed from Sanskrit via the Middle Indian languages Prakrit and Apabhramsha or Gaujara Apabhramsha.
Gurajarti is one of the 22 official languages and 14 regional languages of India. Gurajati comes from the Indian state Gurajat and is also spoken in Gurajat as well as in the union areas Damen and Diu and Dadra as well as in Nagar Haveli. It is also the language of the large Gujarati community in Mumbai.
There are approximately 46 million speakers of Gujarati worldwide, making it the 23rd most widely spoken language in the world. 45.5 million Gujarati speakers live in India, 150,000 in Uganda, 250,000 in Tanzania, 50,000 in Kenza and about 100,000 in Pakistan. A sizable population of Gujarati speakers exists in North America as well as in the United Kingdom. Gujarati was the first language of Mohandas K. Gandhi, the "father of India", Mohammed Ali Jinnah, the "father of Pakistan" and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, "the iron man of India".
History of the Gujarati language
In contrast to most of the other Indian languages, Gujarati is considered to be a young language whose roots can be traced back well into the 12th century AD. A formal grammar of the forerunner of this language was written by the Jain monk and eminent scholar Hemachandracharya in the reign of Rajput King Siddharaj Jayasinh of Anhilware (Patan). This was called Apabhramsha grammar, which translated means a "corrupt" form of the formal language of the time, Sanskrit and Ardhamagadhi Prakrit.
The earliest literature in the language survives orally and can be traced back to the Krishna follower and great egalitarian Narsi Mehta. The story of Narsi Mehta himself was written in the 17th century as a long narrative poem by Premananda. He was given the title of Mahakavi or "great poet" by modern historians of history.
Premandanda was a vyakhyankar, or wandering storyteller, who told his subject in a song and along the prose lines. His style was so fluid that his long poems, which stretched in hundreds of rows, are remembered by people despite everything and are still sung today. In this sense, the oral tradition of the ancient Vedas continued for a long time.
During the medieval era of Gujarat history, poetry was used to express divine feelings. The first work of poetry in Gujarati is considered "Bharateswara Bahubali Rasa", composed by Shalibhadrasuri, a 7th century monk. A number of Jain sadhus followed his example and composed short story tales called "rasas" until the late 18th century AD.
After the relatively significant rise of Mahatma Gandhi in an ever-increasing struggle for independence and social equality, a large amount of poetry, written by writers such as Umashankar, Sundaram, Shesh, Snehrasmi, and Betai, focused, among other things, on the existing social order, the struggle for independence and the labors of Mahatma Gandhi himself. Post-independence poetry shows a higher form of subjectivity and explores novel philosophy and lines of thought and images.
As with most languages, Gujarati occurs in various regional dialects that differ in pronunciation, vocabulary, and grammar. Some dialects have Arabic and Persian influences, while others, like the southern dialects, have been borrowed more from Portuguese and English. Others, in turn, adopt more of the Hindi. It is not a single language and was only created 4 to 5 centuries ago.
Speaker and diffusion
In 2002 Gujarati had around 45 million native speakers. It is spoken mainly in the Indian state of Gujarat as well as in Mumbai. Gujarati was the mother tongue of Mahatma Gandhi, who was born on October 2, 1869 in Porbandar, Gujarat.
The Gujarati script
The Gujarati language is written in its own script, which is also called Gujarati and is closely related to the Devanagari script, see Gujarati ગુજરાતી gujarātī vs. Hindi गुजराती gujarātī). The typical feature of the Gujarati script in contrast to the Devanagari is the lack of the horizontal top line, see ર ra vs. र ra or ત ta vs. त ta. A detailed description of the Gujarati script can be found in the article Gujarati script.
Sanskrit and Devanagari
- 08/08/2021 - 13/08/2021 - Learn harmonium and kirtan in the classic Indian style
- This is a great unique opportunity to learn harmonium and kirtans with healing Indian ragas from a professional Indian Nada master and Sanskrit scholar. You learn -…
- 11/05/2021 - 11/07/2021 - Sanskrit
- You will learn the basic principles for the correct pronunciation of mantras and common yoga terms, the structure of the Sanskrit alphabet and the characters (Devanagari). So is this week ...
- May 28, 2021 - May 28, 2021 - Yoga Sutra, 1st chapter more detailed - Online workshop
- Time: 4:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. The Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, Raja Yoga: In this 3 hour workshop we deal in more detail with the 1st chapter of the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali. The Sutra-s born ...
- June 4th, 2021 - June 4th, 2021 - Yoga Sutra, Chapter 2 more detailed - Online workshop
- Time: 4:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. The Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, Raja Yoga: In this 3 hour workshop we deal in more detail with the 2nd chapter of the Yoga Sutra of Patanjali. The Sutra-s born ...
Gujarati is one of the 22 national languages of India and is spoken mainly in the state of Gujarat, but also beyond. Gujarati was one of the languages of Mahatma Gandhi.
- How can we convince people of cleanliness
- Why did Google switch its Python projects to open source
- What is the most expensive comic
- How can I regain spontaneity
- What is the difference between Flash and Java
- Everyone in Israel is religious
- How does the human brain recognize patterns
- You cannot charge non-rechargeable alkaline batteries
- Who defines, of course
- Jews were always diligent
- Which artist sang the song Heartbreaker
- What is a common mistake in bedroom decorating
- What is pure grain
- Why are women more willing to lie and deceive
- How can you justify Pro Choice
- What is the parallel universe theory
- What is Microsoft Office Online
- Why is Mixtape 3 not on Apple Music
- Rome and Romania are the same
- Is language the high point of human society
- I want to hack my spouse account
- What is the cure for rudeness
- Will inventions make people lazy
- Can you play roblox in china
- What is the mode of nutrition of the plants
- Online courses to learn Utility3d
- Why is my blonde hair turning brown?
- How to pickle cucumbers
- Do you believe that consciousness exists after death?
- What is law as it is
- What is the shelf life of penicillin tablets?
- What is the banking of a street
- Can you hiccup underwater?
- How is a horse taxidermy carried out