Parkinson's disease can be reduced
1. The most important things in a nutshell
There is no special diet for Parkinson's patients, but there are some dietary recommendations. For example, a high-fiber diet can prevent constipation. The intake of protein should be coordinated with the intake of L-Dopa. In patients with swallowing disorders (dysphagia), the correct consistency of the food and conscious swallowing should be ensured.
2. Diet recommendations
Basically, everyone needs a healthy and balanced diet. Patients with Parkinson's should also note the following:
- The tremors, the constant tension of the muscles and the effort to complete a movement that has already started cost the body a lot of strength. Therefore, should be on a adequate nutrient intake Be careful to avoid unwanted weight loss.
- Parkinson's patients often suffer from constipation (constipation) and a feeling of fullness. The reason for this is a reduced mobility of the gastrointestinal muscles. You should be up for it high fiber diet pay attention, e.g. with cereals, vegetables and potatoes, much liquid take in and yourself move sufficiently. Active gastrointestinal muscles also promote the absorption of L-Dopa.
- Drink enough, at least 2 to 3 liters a day, as Parkinson's medication can dry out the body a little and because sufficient fluids can prevent constipation.
- Reduced in some patients alcohol the tremors, but alcohol should not be used as self-therapy as it can lead to dependence. In addition, there may be drug interactions. Even in healthy people, alcohol leads to slower reactions, poor coordination and slurred speech. Parkinson's disease patients who already have these symptoms should avoid alcohol. In addition, the following applies: enjoyment, yes, but in moderation.
- If Coffee, tea or other stimulating drinks increase the tremor, they should be avoided.
- Vitamin-rich nutrition, e.g. in the form of fruit and vegetables, is fundamentally important, if possible five servings a day (one serving is roughly a handful).
3. Diet while taking L-Dopa
When taking L-Dopa, watch out for the following:
- L-Dopa works better on an empty stomach and should be taken at least 30 minutes before a meal.
- Protein reduces the absorption of L-dopa in the body. In the case of high doses of L-Dopa, protein-rich food (e.g. fish, meat, eggs, soy) should be eaten at a later time than taking the medication. L-Dopa should be taken half an hour to an hour before high protein food or one and a half to two hours after.
- If L-Dopa causes nausea, you can, for example, eat a piece of dry bread while taking your medication. The doctor can prescribe medication for extreme nausea.
4. Behavioral tips for swallowing disorders
A symptom of Parkinson's disease can be difficulty swallowing (dysphagia), but this does not occur in every patient. The swallowing disorder causes swallowing with coughing. In the longer term, this can lead to bronchial disease and being underweight. These disturbances can be reduced with simple options.
- During the meal sit upright and don't put your head back.
- To the food focus, especially when consuming liquid food.
- It is cheaper than thin soup, for example pulpy, thick or solid Food.
- Thicken liquid food with thickening powder.
- Multiple times swallow, even when the mouth is empty.
Logotherapists can demonstrate exercises and techniques that can help reduce swallowing disorders.
4.1. Supply with a gastric tube (PEG)
As Parkinson's disease progresses, difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) can increase the risk of deficiency symptoms and weight loss. The nutritional status of Parkinson's patients should be checked regularly. If it is not possible to achieve adequate nutrition, it may be necessary to insert a nasogastric tube. For more information, see enteral nutrition and parenteral nutrition.
The gastric tube is an intervention in the physical integrity of the patient and requires the consent of the patient or his legal representative (details under supervision).
5. Related links
Parkinson's> Movement and Mobility
Parkinson's> Aids and Housing
Parkinson's> Travel and Driving
Parkinson's> Medical Rehabilitation
Parkinson's> severe disability
Parkinson's> Financial Aid
- How many MPH are 55 kmh
- How many vegetables are there 28
- Can we see beyond visible rays of light
- What is the best urine to buy
- We are guided tours in Europe
- I am a reckless person
- What is your father's slogan
- Why don't more people watch women's sports?
- How does the use of public transport save energy?
- What are some mythical animals
- What is AWACS in air systems
- Does the trial judge only convict death sentences
- What is 4 divided by 1 4
- Why does Madwas hates Adi Shankaracharya
- Should I exfoliate my face every day
- Can I use a magnifying glass for VR?
- How am I a studyaholic?
- Is it okay to be a pedophile?
- How many options are traded
- Who is Alaska's worst enemy
- How do you train a duck
- Where can I find interesting journal announcements
- Which trees grow the fastest at home
- How does pain turn into happiness?