Why is Quora so amazing to you
Quora. Questions and social media.
Quora is almost a must for this blog - that's why I won't post a deep reflection, but simply describe what Quora is.
It's a social network like Facebook or Twitter. However, the focus is on questions that users can ask or answer. It looks like this at the beginning:
Quora home page, January 25, 2010
The questions are all in English. You can follow questions, i.e. see which answers are given. In addition, one can find answers as good or bad, which shifts their position for other users.
Thom Nagy writes about the strength of Quora:
In contrast to conventional social networks, the social graph is linked to an interest graph, so that the user receives content recommendations based on two vectors, which dramatically increases the general accuracy of hits.
It is astonishing that the basic idea is not a new one. Services such as Yahoo Answers or gutefrage.net have been plowing the question / answer field more or less successfully for a long time. And Facebook has been launching a similar product for a while.
Thom Nagy also referred me to this truly astonishingly answered question; which I then implemented like this:
Facebook Philippe Wampfler, January 2011
What convinces me about Quora is that attention is paid to the quality of the content. Before asking a question, you have to complete a kind of competence test in which you have to show that you understand how Quora works. So you can generally say that the quality is quite high on Quora.
Yesterday I came across a satire site that makes fun of the Quora hype: Cwora.
(This post was edited on January 25th because the links to the images stored on the web were broken. Some content was modified.)
I like it:
- How common is color blindness
- What are bitcoins for a layperson?
- Are Persians jealous of Azeris in Iran
- What is a contemporary music skill
- When did Dean Ambrose join WWE?
- Have you been paid to the medical school?
- What is biuret
- Why did the romantics value poetry?
- How do PPC and SEO work together
- What makes a bad Java developer
- How did you overcome so much
- Writing requires practice
- Who are the best engineers on LinkedIn
- What's your favorite Skyrim bug
- What is the name of Japan
- How was the NID DAT 2019
- What's one thing you hate
- Is the urban legend of Satoru Kun real?
- What did medieval fools do
- Did the religions scare us too?
- What are the best EOS wallets
- Indicates education intelligence or privilege
- What is the use of Apple TV
- Was Empress Josephine Bonaparte of mixed race
- Which fertilizer should I add when planting
- Must invest math
- Waldbraende are good
- How do we read Kundli
- What is an A-line skirt
- Who is cooler Alexa or Siri
- Is paper carbon negative
- Is this homunculus experiment real
- What are the benefits of merging companies
- What is digital abstract art