Versailles was a French territory
The Versailles Peace Treaty and its effects
The peace treaty came into force on January 10, 1920. On June 28, 1919, it was signed by the German Reich in protest in the Hall of Mirrors of the Versailles Palace.
The Versailles Treaty
After the armistice was signed in November 1918, the victorious powers USA, France and Great Britain negotiated the peace treaty from January onwards. The German Reich was not admitted to the talks that lasted until May 1919. Only later was it possible to submit written submissions. However, this resulted in hardly any changes to the contract.
The treaty formally ended the First World War. Among other things, he obliged the German Reich to disarm, assign territories and pay high reparations. The Saar area was mainly affected by the Saar Statute of the Versailles Treaty.
The effects on the Saar region
At first it was unclear whether the Saar area would belong to France or the German Reich after the war. The Saar Statute stipulated that the coal mines would become French property.
An area of around 1900 square kilometers, the Saar area, was subordinated to the newly founded League of Nations. It included the coal mines, the associated industry and the workers' living quarters. A referendum was planned after 15 years. The population should decide whether to maintain the status or to join France or the German Reich.
Basis of independence
The large economic area up to the Rhine and the Prussian social system no longer existed. Many economic relationships were ended, and the connection between the Saarland and Lorraine mining industries no longer existed. The League of Nations government, which was initially headed by the French Victor Rault, led to Franco-German tensions.
Nevertheless, the Versailles Treaty laid the basis for the independence of the Saar region. Because the unit established at that time has largely been preserved to this day. The name changed to Saarland only after the end of the Second World War.
- How can a skill make you money
- Why don't more programmers know SQL?
- Are our media corrupted by politics?
- Are plants asexual?
- Why wasn't the Apple Watch called iWatch?
- What are the holidays in Vietnam
- Did the prophet Mohammed kill his pagan parents
- What does Jason Lemkin think of DocuSign
- Is sculpture still relevant today
- What is soil mineralization
- Who will win the England test series?
- Why are you so interested in writing
- Which are drugs that are used to induce lactation
- Is Trump a threat to Pakistanis
- What is important
- Earth ships smell of tires
- What does an advertising producer do
- ZOOM is locked in China
- Where is Holly Holmes from?
- Is the BLK hospital good for IVF
- Why is Google Analytics not integrated with Ajax
- What are the different weight loss programs
- What is the Madrid trademark system
- Is Ganesh found in Vedas or Upanishads