Kratom is banned in the UK
Kratom - Considerable Risk
The powder contains various plant alkaloids apparently in very different concentrations, there are no standardizations, so that the effect is uncontrollable. Currently, the FDA in the US is actively evaluating all available scientific information on the matter and continues to warn consumers against using products containing kratom or its psychoactive compounds, mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine.
In addition, kratom products with massive salmonella contamination have been found time and again in recent months. Some products also contained problematic high amounts of the toxic heavy metals lead and nickel.
What is the legal situation?
In various countries (e.g. Switzerland, Australia, Great Britain, Denmark, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania and Sweden), kratom is one of the substances to be controlled, so it is not a legal dietary supplement. In the home country of Thailand, possession and consumption have been banned since 1943. Soon (the draft is available) there should be a law on the use and control of kratom there. Accordingly, kratom may not be used in herbal mixtures, food and cosmetic products, but only in medicinal products. It may not be given to persons under the age of 18 or pregnant women, nor may it be consumed by young people. Selling online, in schools and parks is prohibited.
In total, more than 30 countries (including Japan, Serbia, Croatia and Syria) currently have their own laws to control kratom consumption.
In Germany there is still no real legal assessment. A decision by the Narcotics Commission was postponed in 2010. At the 51st meeting of the Committee of Experts on Narcotics, the agenda item "Current state of affairs and the spread of kratom" was only discussed, but no decision was taken. In the opinion of the authors of the arznei-telegram, however, the listing of kratom as a non-marketable narcotic is advisable for reasons of preventive consumer protection.
At the very least, however, it is questionable whether kratom can even be a food - and food supplements are foods like bread or vegetables. If regular consumption in the EU from May 1997 cannot be proven, it is a new type of food and the plant powder would first have to undergo a safety check by the EU.
Dietary Supplement Kratom: FDA warns of deadly risks. arznei telegram 49 (6), 55-56, 2018
FDA (2019): FDA and Kratom, as of September 11, 2019, accessed on October 15, 2020
FDA: Laboratory Analysis of Kratom Products for Heavy Metals, as of April 3, 2019, accessed on October 15, 2020
FDA: Adverse Event Reporting System: Kratom Deaths, as of December 15, 2017, accessed on August 10, 2020
MedWatch: Leaves of the kratom tree: Dangerous instead of healthy, status: 04/04/2019, accessed on 15/10/2020
35th meeting of the Committee of Experts in accordance with Section 1 (2) of the Narcotics Act (BtMG) on May 3, 2010, accessed on October 15, 2020
51st meeting of the Committee of Experts to be heard in accordance with Section 1, Paragraph 2 of the Narcotics Act (BtMG) and Section 7 of the New Psychoactive Substances Act (NpSG) on May 6, 2019, accessed on October 15, 2020
Current status on the effects and spread of kratom. As of: May 29, 2019, accessed on October 15, 2020
Brendler M (2019): Kratom: Dietary supplement with life-threatening side effects. Medical Tribune online, as of November 15, 2019
Kratom Control Bill approved. The Farang, as of October 14, 2020
- Why is Slovenia important to the EU
- How expensive is vintage clothing in general?
- Are you still watching the Friends series?
- Can newer 3D printers print with glass
- What is the requirement object in Laravel
- Why don't we have autonomous cars yet?
- Everyone who is rich is selfish
- What's the hardest part of songwriting
- Black Decker is the best tool company
- Sodium nitrate reacts with silver nitrate
- Why don't people suddenly get insight
- Why can't C have two main functions
- Are stocks overvalued, fairly valued, or undervalued
- Is cyber terrorism the same as cyber war
- What is the opposite of technical
- Why do Haehne have Wattles
- Why are people naturally entitled
- Who are all designers at SoundCloud
- What are common myths about Hinduism
- Women feel weak after sex
- What was your worst shame
- Why does HTML5 have advertising banners
- How are unregistered NBFCs regulated
- Can I start gymnastics at 19?
- Which is better treadmill or cycling
- What kind of business can an arts graduate do
- How is hydrogen a metal
- Which antibiotic was the first bacterial antibiotic
- What is the competitive position of a company
- Is Alexa better than Google Analytics
- What makes a good data science culture
- When will you get money from Dream11