European Portuguese use Voce
Brazilian vs. European Portuguese: These are the differences
For many, Portuguese is a language that is spoken in identical form in different corners of the world. However, native speakers perceive the linguistic differences very clearly. Let's look at some of the differences between Brazilian and European Portuguese.
Brazilian PortugueseFor many, also colloquially Brazilian, sounds very pleasant to many with its open vowels, whereas it does European Portuguese - especially for Brazilians - a bit mumbled and viscous. The Brazilian accent sounds melodic and powerful to unfamiliar ears, making it easier to understand and learn at the beginning. European Portuguese is a challenge for non-native speakers due to its weakened vowels and it is possible that you will not be understood on the other side of the Atlantic.
Spelling and Grammar
Some words are spelled differently in the language variants. For example, the reception in European Portuguese as "receção", Whereas in Brazilian an audible" p "is used to spell"recepção“Was added. This rule applies to all words that contain a [p] in Brazilian Portuguese but remain silent in the European variant.
Brazilians are more productive, what Word creations and derive new verbs from nouns. In European Portuguese it takes three words to "congratulate" someone - dar os parabéns. In Brazil the noun parabéns but simply to the verb parabenizar reshaped and let's go.
Another interesting factor is that Assimilation of foreign words into Brazilian Portuguese - this is done with a phonetic phrase. The Brazilian word for "media" (meaning "mass media") is mídia, the European media - because Brazilian speakers have adopted the word from American English, in which [e] is pronounced rather than [i], while European Portuguese retains the original Latin spelling. In general, the European language variant is more resistant to language change and fewer foreign words are included in the vocabulary.
Formal and informal language
In Brazil it is relatively easy to address someone: depending on the region, either do or você used and both words are with the cross-class universality of English you comparable. So you can hardly step on someone's tie by accidentally touching them duzt or sizzles.
In Portugal remains do on the other hand - similar to German - reserved for friends, family and informal situations. If you do in European Portuguese with você confused, the situation can quickly turn into discomfort and you can come off as rude, rude, or even aggressive. To make matters worse, the Portuguese você do not pronounce explicitly: It sounds unfriendly, so the pronoun is omitted entirely and the verb in the third person singular (ele, ela) conjugated.
Brazilian vs. European Portuguese: Vocabulary
Some words are completely different in the two language variants - here is a useful list of words you will definitely need:
|German||Brazilian Portuguese||European Portuguese|
A break in communication?
Many of these differences lead to a temporary breakdown in communication for speakers from the two different continents, but if you stay curious and aren't afraid to ask questions, the misunderstandings will clear up on their own. Brazilians and Portuguese still speak the same language, which has developed in different directions due to cultural and historical differences.
So what kind of Portuguese should I learn?
Think about where you want to work, study, or go on vacation. Do you find certain sounds more beautiful than others? Which do you find more tempting: the Brazilian or the Portuguese culture? Where would you like to live if you could choose? Do you have friends or family in one of these countries?
Keep in mind that both variants still count as one language: you will be able to read books in both countries and you will mostly be able to communicate with Brazilians or Portuguese with little effort. Tiny obstacles shouldn't affect intercultural communication!
- How can I get rid of the heaviness in the neck
- What is the use of Protium
- What mechanisms enable snakes to predict earthquakes?
- Does someone use sea foam on cars
- Why does everyone say they are getting a life
- What is your most reliable chess strategy
- How much does Minecraft Java Edition cost
- What does a laboratory technician do
- How do I evaluate my values
- Kill weedkiller grass
- How can we start our day actively?
- WHY DALAI LAMA IS CALLED DALAI LAMA
- Can you send care packages to the inmates
- When will Indian films develop?
- What strategy are you pursuing with Google AdWords
- How many minutes are 600 degrees
- Have you ever taken a calculated risk?
- Which is better engineering or BDS or MBBS
- How many Muslims live in Western democracies
- How much does an alcohol license cost
- How do ambulance flights work
- Why is it important to process grief
- What is 18 3 4 2 6
- What is the full form of STK
- Why narcissists have children with different women
- Why is sex disgusting
- Actions are more important than intentions
- Which summer vacation is your favorite
- Which companies will go public this year?
- What do non-slip shoes look like
- Who is the CEO of Instagram 1
- If the return breaks out of a function
- Which country produces the sweetest bananas?
- What melts in metallurgy