How does the UEFA Champions League work
UEFA Champions League explains: How the tournament works until the knockout. Phase?
How are the teams selected?
The number of teams that enter the UEFA Champions League is determined by a coefficient. The results of the clubs of the individual associations in the last five seasons of the UEFA Champions League, cl today and the UEFA Europa League, give the UEFA coefficient. The association whose teams have performed best in the last 5 years is allowed to take part in the tournament with more teams.
Since the 2009-10 season, the UEFA Champions League has offered two qualifying rounds for teams that do not have direct access to the tournament. The two qualifying rounds are divided into teams that have qualified as champions of the domestic league and those that have qualified by placing second to fourth in the domestic league. Five teams from each qualifying round will be given a place in the group stage.
The other 22 teams are automatically qualified, either as UCL title holders, UEL title holders or through their respective national leagues. Each of the top 12 associations in the UEFA coefficients is guaranteed at least one place, with the higher the coefficient of a league, the more places are awarded.
What happens when the 32 teams qualify?
The 32 teams are divided into four different "pots", with the restriction that teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other. For the draw, the teams were put into four pots according to the following principles:
- The Champions League title holders, today the Europa League title holders and the champions of the six top associations based on their UEFA coefficients end up in Pot1. If either the Champions League or Europa League title holder was one of the champions of the six leading associations, the champions of the seventh and possibly eighth association are also placed in pot 1.
- Pots 2, 3 and 4 contain the remaining teams seeded based on their 2018 UEFA club coefficients.
A team is then drawn from each pot until there are eight groups of four.
How is the group stage going?
The 32 teams compete against each other in a double round tournament known as the group stage. The group winners and the second and third place finishers advance to the round of 16, the first round of the knockout phase. The teams are rated according to points. Three points are awarded for a win, one point for a draw and no points for a loss. In the event of a tie, according to UEFA, the following criteria apply to the tie-break:
1. Higher number of points scored in the group matches of the teams concerned.
2. higher goal difference from the group matches of the teams concerned.
3. The team which has scored more goals in the group matches of the teams concerned will advance.
4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches of the teams concerned.
If the teams are still equal after applying criteria 1 to 4, criteria 1 to 4 will only be applied to the remaining teams' games to determine their final ranking. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5th to 12th apply in the order of the two or more teams of equal value.
5. Superior goal difference in all group matches.
6. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches.
7. Higher number of away goals in all group matches.
8. higher number of wins in all group matches.
9. Higher number of away wins in all group matches.
10. Lower disciplinary points based only on the yellow and red cards received in all group games (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, exclusion for two yellow cards in one game = 3 points).
11. Higher club coefficient.
November 15, 2020 // Hauke Meyer
All articles URBAN CULTURE
- What is a French business
- Engineering Branch vs College, which is important
- Which company roles need the Demand Side Platform
- Why is a mortar shell particularly dangerous
- What triggers mental illness
- Support the Westphalian sovereignty
- Are vias in flexible circuits reliable
- Which song is your current hello piece
- What happens to intelligent, uneducated people
- How does Kraft Mayo Chipotle taste
- What are some recommended competitive coaching names
- Why does my brain stop working sometimes
- Depression is an option
- What is there something interesting to write about
- How does the HDFS index block the data
- Will humans be on Mars by 2020?
- What are some creative activities for children
- What is the Himroo Mashru and Paithani
- Where do sperm go during gay sex
- Is Amitabh Bachchan an NRI
- Why do I feel worthless on LinkedIn?
- What are some treatments for chigger bites
- What are the best practices for SugarCRM
- What are some amazing vegetarian recipes