What are some treatments for chigger bites
Chigger bites on children: causes, treatment and home remedies
Chiggers are small reddish bumps on the skin that can cause puffiness or puffiness. They usually appear in areas where I fold my skin, e.g. B. to the K
Chigger bites are small reddish bumps on the skin that can cause blisters or swelling. These usually appear in areas where the skin is wrinkling, such as the B. on the ankles, waist, armpits, groin or behind the knees. The bites generally come in groups and can spread over time.
They are common in children who play outdoors. While these bites don't do much damage, they can cause itching and discomfort. If you find such bites in your children frequently, here is a post on the causes, symptoms, and treatments for chigger bites in children.
What causes chigger bites?
Chigger bites, known medically as trombiculosis, are rashes caused by chigger, the larvae of trombiculid mites, also known as red mites or red beetles. These mites live on plants and grass and are barely visible to the naked eye.
These parasitic mites attach themselves to the skin of humans and animals. They cling to the surface of the skin with their claws, then pierce the skin and inject saliva, which dissolves the skin cells. The chigger larvae feed on the loosened skin cells for a few days and fall off, leaving a red bump.
Signs and Symptoms of Chigger Bites in Children
Chigger bites are common in areas where clothing is tight or skin is pleated and generally occur in groups.
Some of the main symptoms of chigger bites are
- Round, reddish bumps on the skin
- Severe itching
- Swelling and pain
Sometimes these chigger bites can appear on the penis and cause summer penis syndrome, which can have symptoms such as (1):
- Swelling of the penis
- Painful or weak flow of urine
Your child's doctor would do a physical exam diagnose Chigger bites. The doctor may also ask about your child's medical history and other symptoms.
Treatment for chigger bites
A chigger bite may or may not be painful, but it can be itchy for ten to 21 days. If your child doesn't show serious signs of infection, the chigger bites can be treated with some over-the-counter (OTC) medications. Here's what to do if you experience chigger bites in your child.
- Ask them to shower and scrub the skin with antiseptic soap to remove any chiggers attached to the skin.
- Wash the clothes, blankets, or towels your child touched to kill any chiggers attached to them.
- Apply OTC anti-itch creams or ointments such as calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream to relieve itching and pain.
- If the itching persists, see your doctor who may prescribe antihistamines.
- If your child has a fever or chills, take them to the doctor and don't use over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen or
The itching and bumps might go away in a week or two. During this time, make sure your child doesn't scratch or crush the bumps as this can lead to an infection.
Home remedies for chigger bites
You can also use some of these home remedies to relieve the itching and swelling caused by chigger bites. Note, however, that these home remedies do not have any scientific background to prove their effectiveness, and it is important to speak to your doctor before trying these.
- Anecdotes suggest that putting a cold compress On the chigger, bites can relieve the itching and swelling.
- lemon is said to have antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. So it might help reduce swelling and itching (2).
- Mix a quarter cup of aloe vera gel with a drop of peppermint oil and rub it over the bumps. It could help soothe the area and soothe the itchiness.
- oatmeal is said to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which are important in relieving itching. Add two to three cups of oats in water, gently scrub and rinse the chigger bites (3).
- Anecdotes suggest that apple cider vinegar contains antiseptic properties and can help relieve the pain and itching from chigger bites. However, use this with caution in case the bites appear infected.
- Soak the bites Baking soda or Epsom salt water could also help with itching relief.
Prevention of chigger bites
Keep these precautions in mind to protect your kids from chigger bites.
- Make sure your kids wear long sleeved shirts and full pants when playing outdoors.
- Apply Anti-bug ointments all over your child before they go out to play.
- Spray your child's shoes, boots and backpacks with it Anti-bug sprays with DEET fend off the chiggers (4).
- To reach tuck your child's pant legs in socks to prevent exposure to chiggers.
- You can also apply essential oils like Tea tree oil, which could act as an insect repellent.
- Instruct your children have a hot shower as soon as they come home after playing outdoors.
When should I see a doctor?
Chigger bites usually do no harm and can be treated with over-the-counter medications. However, it is best to consult your doctor, though
- The over-the-counter medications will not help relieve symptoms.
- The bite is warm, swollen, tender, or filled with pus.
- Your child will develop allergic reactions, fever, chills, nausea and vomiting, or difficulty breathing.
Chiggers don't transmit disease, but there is a chance the wound could become infected if your child scratches or pinches the bumps. In addition, chiggers cannot dig and penetrate the skin. They only live on the outer layers of the skin, feed on and fall off. These bites are also non-contagious, so you can allow children to do all normal activities unless there is severe itching.
Chigger bites may not be harmful, but they can cause itching and discomfort. So make sure you take the necessary precautions when your child goes out to play, as prevention is always better than cure.
- Is Goa India worth visiting
- Where is Islam compulsory
- Why are some people against self-publishing
- What can lead to bleeding after vomiting?
- How does a Spitronics device work
- Will my cat remember me
- Is Amazon Prime expensive
- Should my child see a children's dentist
- Makes Amazon a giveaway
- Can Lyme disease cause restless leg syndrome
- Where can I get good Rajasthani handicrafts
- Have you ever met god
- What is Gudibande known for?
- You are allowed to play deer with girls
- Why does Google publish its research
- What are the steps to join Scientology
- What is the criminal conspiracy in IPC
- What are the four mathas of Shankaracharya
- Which is the best camera among 5000
- Are dragon fruit flowers edible?
- What are some atheist jungle tribes
- What is a cricket goal scorer
- Why do people like scary things