Why doesn't Swedish use O.
Until 2006, the letter W was not regarded as an independent letter, but as a spelling variation of V. However, it was included again in the alphabet. Together with Q and Z it only occurs in loan words and proper names.
Ä and Ö are part of the alphabet and are at the very end. They are therefore not just variants of A and O, as is the case in German. In addition, the letter Y is a vowel, not a consonant like in German. We also have the Swedish Å.
In the Swedish language a distinction is made between hard and soft vowels.
The hard vowels include A, U, O and Å and the soft ones E, I, Y, Ö and Ä. This differentiation is important for the pronunciation of certain consonants and consonant combinations. Soft vowels change their pronunciation.
There is also a division into long and short vowels.
Long is a vowel is always:
- if it is stressed and not followed by a consonant (bi [biː] Bee)
- if it is stressed and only followed by a consonant (bil [biːl] Automobile)
|bi (ett)||Noun||month, rtx, vwzm|
|bil (s)||Noun||tzodu, dckgo, barjnqg|
On the other hand, a vowel is always short:
- if it is followed by a double consonant (puss [pɵs] Kiss)
- if two or more other consonants follow (have [hst] Horse)
- if it is not or only weakly emphasized (fågel [‚foːgəl] Bird, tomte ["tomtə] Gnome)
|fågel (en)||Noun||hsreooe, adpuddy, xgahnojof|
|has (s)||Noun||aogsgkg, uphyecb, iazoagcpq|
|puss||Noun||jhpjvv, ccgjwv, quaswitv|
|tomte (en)||Noun||jtpedh, vnplwl, gznmijiz|
|Santa Claus # elf|
Double consonants always shorten the vowel in front of them. There are only exceptions for M and N. These usually ensure that the vowel in front of them is short, even with simple spelling.
|hem (ett)||Noun||wnfzno, sct, vkpiza|
|Home # home|
|one (s)||Noun||fxtnhb, mlke, mbqipvh|
Do you have any questions or would you like to have your assignments for this lesson corrected? Unlock the comment system now and Joakim will take care of your questions and tasks.Become a patron now
- Engineers have free time
- Why are power lines twisted
- Is an MBA possible through mass communication?
- How do I understand Android programming
- What is group socialization
- How many countries adopt Hinduism
- How old is Museveni
- What are Forward Neural Networks
- What is Z in set theory
- How can I learn to enjoy school
- How do smartphones track speed
- What is pure grain
- What is pure grain
- Why doesn't electronic muscle stimulation build muscle?
- Which are electronic sensors
- Brazil will attack Venezuela
- What is the best microphone for ASMR
- How do you exclude directories in Doxygen
- What is the Chinese translation for digital
- How can we trust experts
- How do leafy vegetables slow down your metabolism
- What is the criminal conspiracy in IPC
- What's so good about the republic
- How was the movie Pizza 2005 received