How is MS DOS different
Difference: DOS / MS-DOS and Win32 console
The only relationship between these two systems is that they run text-based programs. This is where the list of similarities ends again.
DOS / MS-DOS:
DOS is its own operating system (like Windows or Unix), which was actually developed by a hobby programmer. Legend has it that Bill Gates bought DOS from this programmer for a few $ 1,000 and sold it to IBM. At that time they were looking for a suitable operating system for their PCs. Gates won the bid, but he stumbled upon IBM and began selling MS-DOS, which promptly overtook IBM.
DOS was dragged along by Microsoft into the Windows era. Until WindowsME it was still integrated as a sandbox to ensure downward compatibility. In the meantime, however, MS-DOS has been completely removed from Windows.
Programming under DOS / MS-DOS: 16-bit applications are to be written for DOS. Nowadays this is only possible with old compilers (e.g. with Microsoft Visual C ++ 1.0, Borland C Compiler up to 4.52, Turbo C / C ++ and with the 16-bit version of the DJGPP). The API is hidden in the header file
Nowadays DOS / MS-DOS is hardly used any more, and later clones with improved properties (eg FreeDOS or DR-DOS) have also disappeared from the market. There are a number of emulators (e.g. DOSEMU) to get programs to run under newer operating systems.
Microsoft began their era of graphical operating systems with Windows. But a text-based environment was still important to many users, especially in the early days, and still offers some advantages today. So that such a text-based environment was available, DOS was initially dragged along with it (as the operating system in the operating system), but this was not particularly stable. In the end, DOS was completely removed from Windows and a console similar to the Unix console was developed (only with far less functionality, which is supposed to change with Windows Longhorn).
This Win32 console runs, nomen est omen, 32bit applications. All new Windows compilers create such applications. The API for the console can be found integrated in the WinAPI in the header file
PS: If you find any errors, please contact us immediately.
- How is Google Advertising Beneficial for Business?
- Who invented the old-fashioned cocktail and when
- How do I find events
- Which animals kiss too much
- What is the average cost of leads
- How many US states have you visited
- Which is better Pulchowk or Ku
- Why are roof racks so expensive
- What is 11 4 6 1 2
- Police What are your favorite sleeves
- What is the second smallest prime number
- What is a servant in Kubernetes
- Why is bright capitalism viewed as bad
- Can I learn HTML myself
- Computer technology How many people understand the cloud
- How do I use CRISPR Cas9
- Which is the next forex
- Why don't people connect
- What does possession mean in slang
- What are the chemical properties of antihistamines
- Who were the ancient English literary authors
- How big are 400cc breast implants
- Why do programmers hate Windows
- Avoid server failures
- What is naltrexone prescribed for
- What is VHDL in Xilinx
- Are adverbs separated
- Is it unfair to cheat exams?
- What is a gravitational singularity
- Who are the top loyalty card providers
- What is special about the Gujarati language
- Becomes a professional athlete an amateur
- What is Spinner Chef in Article Writing
- What is a Raj Kachori