Can moose swim
Moose feel good in the water and are very good swimmers, even over long distances (up to 20 km).
© Bertil Pettersson Mölndal / Sweden
Wide rivers or even estuaries are not an insurmountable obstacle for them. Animals have even been observed that have swum from the Swedish mainland to the Åland Islands, some 30 km away.
Of all deer, only reindeer can swim better. Moose can swim up to 10 km / h, which is faster than a man can paddle in a canoe.
photographed by Michio Hoshino - © Naoko Hoshino
They can also dive up to 6 m deep and have valve-shaped nostrils that they can close while diving.
They do this especially when there are special delicacies on the bottom of the lake. You can stay underwater for several minutes. The drive to wallow is not developed in the elk.
© NPS photo
Moose tolerate the cold very well, but suffer in the heat. This is especially true when they are plagued by swarms of flies and mosquitoes. You then stand in the water for several hours a day to cool off and avoid the mosquitoes. They also like to dip their heads under water to eat. District forester Kuhrke from the Elchwald reported a nice incident: On a hot summer's day an elk was sitting in a pond. Only nose, eyes and ears peeked out. Two families of ducks swam around the head, eager to catch mosquitoes and horseflies. Two hours later, the forester stopped by again, and he was still presented with the same picture.
But the moose only seems to go swimming for pleasure, as these pictures by Martin Kakies on the Curonian Spit show.
© Martin Kakies
© Maren and Uwe Kamke 2000-2020
- What is the source of citric acid
- Who created Primus and Unicron
- Is it possible to love too much?
- Will inventions make people lazy
- What is the purpose of being mindful
- Which game needs the most RAM
- Are protoplasm and protoplasts the same
- How does home automation optimize energy consumption
- What is time-of-flight technology
- Is Robert Mueller political by nature
- How different are zombies, vampires and Dracula
- Should Firebase be used for web applications
- How do I move furniture safely
- What are psychotic characteristics of depression
- What is the greatest watch ever created
- Laughter is always a defense mechanism
- What did Carl Sagan die of
- How is online ordering helping restaurants to benefit from it?
- Is USC safe for international students
- What is a cloud computing sales job
- Will China dominate science?
- What does your background image look like
- Are oxygen absorbers dangerous
- Why is a crab considered a fish
- Stems are available for all songs
- Offside applies to corners in football
- Where can I get a social bot
- What is a binary cellular automaton
- A 15 credit score is good
- Are igneous rocks defined as intrusive why
- How can a cat become prey
- What are some pros and cons of eloping
- What is the purpose of exercisability
- Which Medicare plan includes dental and visual assets