Is Donald Trump related to Hillary Clinton
Politician families in the USAblood is thicker as competence
The President-elect also takes his family members into account when filling various positions. That may be criticized. It is a tradition in the USA that politics are made by families.
Trump has to fill thousands of jobs around his administration and the White House. His wife Melania is there as First Lady anyway, but his daughter Ivanka and his son-in-law Jared Kushner are also in talks for high-level positions. The anti-nepotism law prohibits direct family members from holding official positions. Or you could simply act as an unofficial "strategic advisor" and still gain a lot of influence.
Trump is continuing the tradition of family clans in US politics - "albeit in a special way," says Boris Vormann, professor at the John F. Kennedy Institute at Freie Universität Berlin. The mixture of economic interest and presidency can be felt more clearly with him. Daughter Ivanka, for example, used a Trump interview to promote jewelry from her own collection.
Carter had to get rid of the peanut factory
Actually, Trump should also part with his companies and investment real estate. In the past, presidents would have done that. Jimmy Carter sold his peanut factory, Richard Nixon parted with parts of his fortune.
Trump may handle things differently - but families play a big role in US politics has been like this for many years:
- The second President of the United States, John Adams, was the father of John Quincy Adams, the sixth President.
- "In the 19th century there were a lot of politicians who were related to each other," says Boris Vormann - "even if most of them are no longer known today".
- The Kennedy family produced many influential politicians. John F. Kennedy's daughter Caroline has been the US Ambassador to Japan since 2013.
- The Bush family is also very successful in US politics. George H.W. and George W. were the 41st and 43rd Presidents, Jeb Governors of Florida. The grandfather of two brothers, George W. and Jeb Bush, Prescott became Senator for Connecticut in 1952.
- And then of course there are the Clintons, who were the first couple in the USA to have the chance to be both "President" and "President".
The reason why there are no such political families in Germany or why there are significantly fewer is, on the one hand, simply due to money. The US election campaign is expensive. A rich family behind you provides financial help.
"On the other hand," says Boris Vormann, "one apparently has to network even more in the party landscape in the USA than is the case in Germany." It is then convenient when the father or husband has already done preparatory work.
- What is negative about Sao Paulo
- What are the clothing sizes for babies
- Is IVF Haram in Islam
- Can I smoke weed in a theater?
- What is usability research
- How can I get the Google Assistant
- Why is Alia Bhatt so overly smart
- How do you say artificially in Spanish
- How do I get into Indian history
- What are your favorite fitness blogs
- What is Jack Black doing now
- Which smartphone is the easiest to root?
- When is size not everything?
- Sneaking meth addicts
- Do analog wristwatches work according to an EMP
- Muslims hate lesbians
- How do you know that they understand
- How many levels does google syntaxnet have
- Quillette is a conservative publication
- Why does it say pending on Skype
- Should a sick dog get knocked down
- What is your wildest concert experience
- What is Taylor Swift's song Gorgeous about
- Who installs museum exhibitions and works of art