People are actually using the browser's back button
Google Chrome: How to get more out of the popular browser
For many users, Google Chrome is the gateway to the Internet. The browser offers many functions and customization options. We explain which settings are really important.
The browser is the gateway to the Internet, whether mobile or on the computer. On offer are Firefox, Chrome, Opera, MicrosoftEdge and others. T-online.de also has its own browser version.
Most people get online with Google's Chrome browser. The installation is done quickly. But many users are overwhelmed with the subtleties of the software. Which settings should one pay attention to? How can you increase your privacy? We'll give you some guidance on Chrome's menu.
Block unwanted processes
To do this, go to "Data protection and security" in the settings. Scroll down until you see "Website Settings". There you will find the individual processes and their status. Some of them are automatically blocked by the browser. Others have to ask the user for permission before they can run. Others are allowed by default.
You should take a closer look at the following processes as they are considered potentially dangerous:
- Cookies: Small files record usage data about you.
- place: The website wants to know your location.
- Flash: Used to play videos, but is considered a gateway for viruses or Trojans.
- Pop-ups and redirects: Sometimes small windows unintentionally pop up on dubious pages, which you can block here.
- advertising: Here you can block intrusive or misleading advertisements.
The rule of thumb here is: If you want to be on the safe side, you should first turn off all potentially dangerous processes. If that leads to restrictions, you can set them to "Ask before access", then you have control over them.
Change search engine
Google likes to use the Chrome browser to promote its own services and collect data. So when you enter search keywords in the address list, the Google automatism reports immediately. The first consideration should therefore be: do you leave it at the default setting with Google as the default search engine or do you prefer a competitor?
Hiring a different search engine is easy:
First go to the Chrome settings by clicking on the three dots in the top right corner and then on "Settings". Alternatively, you can also use the address bar chrome: // settings enter.
Then click on "Search engine" in the navigation menu on the left. At the top there is usually Google as "Search engine used in the address bar".
Go to "Manage Search Engines". There you will find a few of the most popular search engines listed. To set one of them as the new standard, click on the three dots to the right of the link.
You have the choice between DuckDuckGo, Bing, Yahoo or Ecosia, among others. This article gives an overview of alternative search engines.
You can even make the search on t-online.de your new standard. The next time you search in Chrome, matching articles will be displayed on our site.
Directly under the menu item "Search engine" you will find the item "At the start". There you can choose between three options: An empty tab is opened, the pages you opened last are restored, or you can select a page that should open every time the browser is started.
For example, to make t-online.de your homepage, click on the point next to "Open certain page or pages". Then you can go to the option "Add new page", where you only have to enter the URL of the website. Alternatively, you can also open several pages or use your currently open page as the start page. Pages can also be removed from the list by clicking on the three dots and then on "Remove".
Create and manage bookmarks
If you find an interesting page and want to visit it again later, you can set a bookmark. This is particularly easy with Chrome: One click on the star on the right in the address bar and it's done.
All your bookmarks can then be found in the bookmark manager. There you can also sort your bookmarks into folders. You can find the manager by clicking on the three items in the menu at the top right. In it, point to Bookmarks, then click Bookmark Manager.
Here you will find two main folders: "Bookmarks Bar" and "Other Bookmarks". In the bookmarks bar you put all bookmarks that you want to be displayed right below the address bar. You can save pages that you call up less frequently under "Other bookmarks". These are displayed as a drop-down menu on the right-hand side of the bookmarks bar.
more on the subject
- Search engines,
- Digital tips
- There could be more genres of music
- Why does giving feel so good?
- How much does a henna tattoo cost
- What is a debt settlement service
- What are the main properties of esters
- How can a skill make you money
- What are some fun psychology experiments
- Is there actually any paranormal behavior
- How to Prevent Blisters While Running
- What is the future of information visualization
- Which song is next to remix
- What are bitcoins for a layperson?
- Do Switchwords really work
- What is the best urine to buy
- What will the B52 Stratofortress replace
- What do i need to play volleyball
- What are the benefits of cnidium
- Where do new drugs come from?
- Why are sound waves not electromagnetic waves
- If a resistor increases the current
- Why am I still waiting
- What is the best trekking spot
- How to write accelerando in music
- Florian Silbereisen is the symbol of Germany
- At what temperature does aircraft fuel freeze?
- What are the courses in college
- Which cities start with the letter A.
- What does the symbol 36
- How do the Brazilians see the Paraguay War?
- What is God's Reality or Faith
- What is the polymer of Bakelite
- Tennis Will Andy Murray wins Wimbledon
- How do you become a military pilot
- What are the disappointing situations in life