Why are there so few female drummers
In search of clues: Why are there so few female drummers?
Got onto the drums as an adult
Madeleine Bartmuß, 32, Ulrike Schlücker, 64, and Monika Zientz, 67, were not impressed by it. You started playing drums as an adult.
Monika Zientz received a trial voucher for the music school two years ago. “The drums fascinated me,” says Zientz. She didn't know much about what it was like to play the drums and quickly discovered that it was a coordination challenge. “You have many parts on the instrument, you move your two arms and two legs at the same time. I felt challenged. "
While on vacation in Zimbabwe, she got to know the African drum djembe. A tin drum that is usually covered with goatskin. She has more fun playing with the djembe and so she switches to the instrument.
"It fits my life"
“I was never interested in music at school,” says Madeleine Bartmuß. “I always voted off that, but I really enjoyed going to concerts.” She loved to feel the bass. Two years ago she started playing drums on a taster course.
“I think the instrument fits my life quite well,” says Bartmuss, who works as a nurse. “I think I got in there easier than with the piano.” The instrument forgives her if she doesn't manage to practice for two weeks.
Ulrike Schlücker also stayed with the drums. “It's physically demanding. But somehow I liked it, ”she says. She started playing drums four years ago. An important role model for her was a colleague who played drums in the school band. “I was impressed that a woman plays the instrument,” she says.
The American psychologist Betty Repacholi conducted a study in 2001 to determine whether it makes a difference whether men or women play an instrument. She showed videos with music groups in different gender compositions in different control groups. She found out that the girls were more willing to play an instrument that was considered “male” if they had previously seen women play it, i.e. if they had a role model. Boys didn't need that; they too preferred instruments that were more likely to be attributed to men.
Women are still underrepresented in the professional music scene. An exact, representative list of how many female drummers there are in the world does not exist. The English Wikipedia counts 100 "relevant" female drummers from the English-speaking world. In the case of men, if you just count the names with the letters A and B, there are already around 150. There is no comparable list for Germany.
At the Selmer Music School, Bartmuß, Schlücker and Zientz are the only female drummers among the music students (the Jekits program is not one of them). That is 19 percent of 16 male drum students.
Basically, Madeleine Bartmuß, Ulrike Schlücker and Monika Zientz think that their choice to play the drums shouldn't be viewed as special, but "if you see a woman playing somewhere, it's something special," says Madeleine Bartmuß.
Monika Zientz could imagine that young girls tend to opt for an instrument that is more melodic. "I also believe that the drums are not necessarily the first priority for parents," Madeleine Bartmuß could imagine. There are also electronic drums that can be played with headphones.
Anyone can play any instrument
Verena Volkmer, the head of the music school is convinced: “Everyone can play any musical instrument.” She thinks it's good when clichés are broken. For example, your daughter plays the harp and drums. She believes that digitization can help overcome possible limits. Today you can watch videos of female drummers from all over the world on YouTube. "If you don't know something, how am I supposed to get interested in it?" Asks Volkmer.
- What is intraluminal brachytherapy
- What's your experience with PCOS
- Why are teenagers so irrational
- What are some indigenous Vietnamese religions
- Autism has biological evidence
- Works well, badly
- What is parthenocarpy
- Where do tambourines come from
- Great Britain is the strongest imperial nation
- Is math the right major for INTPs
- What is 2x 0
- Does the CTV message lean left or right
- Only hires Google top graduates
- Why narcissists have children with different women
- Can someone recommend me unpopular but good films
- What is a direction finder
- Is paracetamol polar or non-polar
- What harms a relationship more than dishonesty
- Who are you Who is your creator
- The elderly lose respect in society
- Does Japanese sound like Chinese to you?
- Where can I download Assassin's Creed Syndicate
- Why everything is so expensive in India
- How is Aemon Targeryen related to Dany?
- What starts when breathing stops
- Why did China invent fireworks
- What is the Aeron chair from 2014
- What is your rating of the Urdu language
- Rome and Romania are the same
- When can you deliver materials
- Are vegans naive
- Can an eigenvector belong to several eigenvalues
- What is the next step after RTI
- Why was Ringo the best Beatle