Can we see a curd
How healthy are yogurt, cottage cheese, and skyr?
The dairy products yogurt, quark and skyr - a traditional Icelandic dairy food - contain a lot of high quality protein, calcium and saturated fat. The composition of the nutrients is considered healthy. However, if you are overweight or have high cholesterol levels, you should only eat the products in moderation or use alternatives with less fat.
Be careful with ready-made products: yogurt, quark and skyr with industrially produced fruit preparations can contain artificial flavors and large amounts of sugar - an average of up to six sugar cubes per cup. Therefore, it is better to prepare the natural product with fresh fruit.
Production of yogurt, curd cheese and skyr
Different substances are added to milk to make yoghurt, quark and skyr:
- At yogurt Lactic acid bacteria ferment the milk sugar. The type of bacteria determines the consistency and taste - mild or sour.
- At Quark the milk is mixed with rennet, a coagulant ferment from calf stomach. The enzymes chymosin and pepsin contained in the rennet cause the milk to curdle (coagulate). Cream is also added. This means that the fat content is higher than that of yoghurt: low-fat quark up to 10 percent, semi-fat quark up to 20 percent and cream quark up to 40 percent.
- Skyr is acidified with bacteria like yoghurt and thickened with rennet like quark. Skyr tastes more sour than quark, the consistency is firmer and creamier than that of yoghurt. Some manufacturers point to the Icelandic origin of Skyr, but the product is mostly made in Germany.
Homemade natural yogurt
The special thing about this homemade yoghurt: It tastes much milder and less sour than yoghurt you buy. The preparation is very easy. more
Differences in protein content
Yoghurt, quark and skyr contain different amounts of protein (figures per 100 grams):
- Yogurt: 4 to 10 grams
- Skyr: 10 grams
- Quark: 14 grams
Proteins play an important role in the body in these areas:
- Formation of muscles and bones
- Transport of fat and oxygen
- Absorption of iron
- Defense against pathogens
- Repair of defective cells
- Nail and hair health
- Manufacture of connective tissue and cartilage
The individual protein requirement depends on body weight and can usually be covered by a balanced diet.
Dairy products are high in calcium
The German Nutrition Society recommends a daily intake of 1,000 milligrams of calcium for healthy adults. The nutrient is important for building bones, among other things. Dairy products contain a particularly large amount of calcium:
- Quark: 90 milligrams per 100 grams
- Yogurt: 130 milligrams per 100 grams
- Skyr: 150 milligrams per 100 grams
Important: Do not eat calcium-rich foods all at once, but rather eat them throughout the day.
Fat content of dairy products
Saturated fat can increase the bad LDL cholesterol in the blood, which can promote the development of cardiovascular diseases, vascular calcification, dementia and diabetes. However, the nervous system needs saturated fat as a messenger substance.
This is how much fat dairy products contain per 100 grams:
- Skyr: 0.2 to 0.5 percent
- Skimmed milk yogurt: 0.5 percent
- low-fat yogurt: 1.5-1.8 percent
- Yoghurt: at least 3.5 percent
- Cream yogurt: at least 10 percent
- Lean curd: less than 10 percent
- Semi-fat quark: 20 percent
- Cream curd: 40 percent
- Double cream level: 65 to 85 percent
Foods with saturated fat are necessary in moderation for a balanced diet.
- Normal weight can eat semi-fat quark without hesitation. From the point of view of nutritional science, cream quark with a fat content of 40 percent is not recommended for anyone.
|product||Fat (%)||Protein (g)||Sugar (g)||Calories||Salt (g)||Price / per 100 g|
|Whole milk yogurt||3,5||4,3||5,2||72||0,15||0,11|
|Quark, 20% fat||4,3||11||3,7||97||0,10||0,20|
|Quark, 40% fat||9,8||9,3||3,5||139||0,10||0,20|
Diet: These fats are healthy
Fat is considered unhealthy. But while saturated fats and trans fats can be harmful to the body, unsaturated fats are vital. What foods are they in? more
This topic in the program:
Market | 01/27/2020 | 8:15 pm
- What is Nirjala Ekadashi
- Why don't we have superpowers yet?
- Breakup sex is okay
- What is UI development
- Objectified Hollywood women
- What is lattice energy a measure for
- Snakes can climb ropes
- Aspies have fewer fake smiles than NTs
- How do you stay motivated while programming
- Has Doctor Doom kids
- When was the first mirror made?
- Should I get a Palm Pre Plus
- Is cycling safe to work with
- Walgreens has very good security
- What is vacuum frying
- Can the US government censor the press?
- What happened to carpenters
- Why are some music teachers cruel
- How is online ordering helping restaurants to benefit from it?
- Is Amsterdam overrated or underrated
- Do you think Starbucks is overrated?
- Intensive cultivation is good for agriculture
- Is the actual presence of God perfect?
- Can potatoes grow hydroponically?