A transformer converts voltage or power
Transformer / transformers / transformer
A transformer is used to step up or step down voltages, currents and resistances in an AC circuit. So increased or decreased.
The transformer, or transformer for short, acts on the input or primary side like a consumer R for its AC voltage source, provided the transformer is loaded with nominal load. When unloaded, the transformer acts like an inductance. The output side or secondary side acts as an alternating voltage source with source voltage U.0 and internal resistance Ri.
The transformer basically consists of two coils lying next to each other with the same or different number of turns. A turn is when the wire is looped around the bobbin. The entirety of the turns is called the winding. A changing magnetic field is generated on the input winding by the applied alternating voltage. An induction voltage is generated on the output winding. The level of this voltage depends on the turns ratio of the primary and secondary side of the transformer.
|Primary side||Secondary side|
|600||50 V||600||50 V|
|600||50 V||1200||100 V|
|600||50 V||300||25 V|
N = number of turns / U = voltage
If the number of turns on the primary side is greater than on the secondary side, then the output voltage is less than the input voltage. If the number of turns on the secondary side is greater than that on the primary side, then the output voltage is greater than the input voltage.
Isolation transformer and transformer
Isolation transformers are used to galvanically isolate the alternating voltage from the power grid. You should separate two circuits from each other for safety reasons. Transmitters are used for data transmission and in measurement and control technology for audio frequency transmission.
Ratio of voltage and current
The relationship between voltage and current is inversely proportional to each other.
A change in the voltage at the input leads to a change in the maximum current that can be drawn at the output (secondary side) of the transformer.
If the voltage is stepped down, the current that can be drawn increases. If the voltage is stepped up, the current that can be drawn decreases.
A higher voltage at the output leads to a lower current at the input. A lower voltage at the output enables a greater current draw.
Circuit symbol (secondary side with one winding)
Circuit symbol (secondary side with two windings)
Toroidal transformers consist of a toroidal iron core around which the primary and secondary coils are wound. Toroidal transformers are lightweight, require little space, are more efficient and have a lower magnetic stray field. This gives you decisive advantages over rectangular transformers. The high switch-on pulses are a disadvantage.
Rectangular iron core transformers
Rectangular transformers are very common. Especially in power supplies and integrated power supplies. The power consumption there is not too high. A plug-in power supply unit can or must even be dispensed with. The weight of the iron core is often uncomfortable and is a significant part of the weight of an electronic device.
It can be assumed that the iron core causes 10% energy loss during the transformation. To compensate for this, 10% more turns are simply wound. This ensures the desired tension ratio.
Other related topics:
The electronics company's original equipment
What every electronics technician needs: An electronics range with over 1,300 electronic components so that you have everything you need for every application.
- 30 different resistance values (600 pieces in total)
- 30 different ceramic capacitors (300 pieces in total)
- 12 different electrolytic capacitors (120 pieces in total)
- 8 different diodes (100 pieces in total)
- 17 different transistors (170 pieces in total)
- 5 different LEDs in size 3 mm and 5 mm in the colors 5 colors red, green, blue, yellow and white (200 pieces in total)
Order electronics assortment now
Electronics simple and easy to understand
The electronics primer is a book about the basics of electronics, components, circuit technology and digital technology.
I want that!
- What are four test environments
- Which are the lightest metals
- Spiders eat other spiders
- What causes your skin to turn orange
- What are the best seats on Amtrak
- How do WWE title belts rank
- What is your most reliable chess strategy
- How could Google Newsstand be improved?
- Why are Mongolians so attracted to sumo?
- How do actors manage to laugh on cue?
- Can a double camera take a selfie
- Where can I have sex in Kharagpur
- How do I hack a device remotely
- Who claimed North America for England
- How betting websites predict soccer results
- Can you hide from love
- What are problems in Confucianism
- Fists are warmer than gloves
- Can we see beyond visible rays of light
- How to learn math formulas easily
- How to write slavery in Spanish
- What are some translation software
- How should you use $ 50
- What are natural fibers made of