In which direction do contour lines point
Learn to read contour lines
Contour lines connect points of the same height. Such a (of course not really existing) line runs around a hill or mountain like a flat circular path.
Contour lines on a map always have the same height distance from one another (this is also called an "equidistance"). If you were to cut open the real landscape along the contour lines, you would always get panes of the same thickness.
For maps with a scale of 1: 50,000, the contour lines are usually 10 meters apart, i.e. the points on the closest contour lines are 10 meters higher or lower.
The labeling of the contour lines on a map is placed in such a way that it can be read in the direction of the rising terrain.
The contour lines make the shape and gradient visible in a terrain. The closer the lines are together, the steeper the terrain, the further apart they are, the flatter it is.
If the contour lines are closed, ie form a tight, winding "circle line", this indicates a knoll or a mountain peak. Often the highest point is also marked with a point and an associated height.
In rare cases, a closed circular line also indicates a depression, a "dent" in the landscape. Then a contour line colored arrow points to the point with the altitude information.
If there are some uniformly curved contour lines one behind the other (with or without a stream), this indicates a valley.
All right? -> on to the knowledge check!
Images and text idea (with kind permission):
Tips for reading maps © State Office for Surveying and Geoinformation Bavaria (www.lvg.bayern.de)
This page is part of the website
- Back teeth come back
- Is there someone named Owen in Brazil
- Have confidence in people
- What are the types of addictive manufacturing
- What is a good stock market simulator
- Are pigeons and pigeons alike
- What characterized theater in Elizabethan times
- Where should I buy black shoes
- You may be allergic to marijuana
- A jaguar would eat a leopard
- Do women prefer a height of 55 for men
- Bribes are offered to the governors of the presidents in India
- Is the SRM University AICTE approved
- Overdosing on multivitamins can kill someone
- Where does Varun Dhawan live
- Can I read PDF on Kindle?
- How do I shade with watercolors
- Sleeping cows lying down
- How many kilograms does a little boy weigh?
- Is the electrical potential a scalar quantity
- Everyone should learn to market themselves
- What is Mic Drop
- How do CAS calculators work
- What is mindfulness meditation