What animal can die from eating chocolate?
Delicate temptation with dire consequences
Christmas time is gourmet time. You treat yourself to something good. And chocolate is simply a part of Christmas. Of course, the four-legged housemate should not live like a dog either. A little sweet can't hurt. Unfortunately yes! Not all dog owners know that the sweet temptation can have far-reaching consequences. Chocolate is poison in the truest sense of the word for dogs.
This is due to the theobromine contained in chocolate or cocoa beans. The theobromine content varies depending on the type of chocolate. White chocolate is specified as 0.009 mg / g, dark chocolate can contain up to 16 mg / g, cocoa powder even up to 26 mg / g. A bar (100 g) of dark chocolate contains around 1,600 mg (i.e. 1.6 g) of theobromine.
In sensitive dogs, a dose of 90 to 250 mg per kilo of body weight can be fatal for the dog. With a consumption of 300 mg, the so-called 50 percent lethal dose is already reached. This means that half of all dogs will die if they ingest this amount. This dose has already been reached or exceeded with one bar of dark chocolate if the dog weighs around 5.5 kilograms or less. Smaller breeds of dogs as well as puppies and young dogs are therefore particularly at risk.
But even much smaller amounts can lead to symptoms of intoxication with symptoms such as restlessness, nausea, cramps, diarrhea and fever. Most deaths are due to cardiovascular failure. Repeated feeding of smaller amounts is also problematic. Theobromine breaks down in the body very slowly, so that it can accumulate in the blood.
Chocolate enjoyment usually becomes a problem when the dog is secretly and uncontrollably nibbling chocolate lying around. Dog owners can prevent this by storing the candy in such a way that the sweet darling cannot steal anything. With "chocolate thieves" you should go to the vet immediately. Incidentally, theobromine is completely harmless to humans.
- What is the 2017 cutoff for BHMS
- What is it like to have a beach body
- What do you think of Simon Cowell
- What should I call my mentoring program?
- Is God an artist or an engineer
- Dell and Lenovo are the same company
- What causes tiny blisters on my fingers
- What is the postcode number of Onitsha
- Why is everyone like Logan Paul
- What does disciplined mean
- What are some suggestions for vocabulary apps
- What is the mode of nutrition of the plants
- Provides a narcissist with lasting stability for the marriage
- Who is your favorite military conqueror?
- Was Cristiano Ronaldo a good transfer
- What does KWHRS mean on utility bills
- What can you do with old skis?
- Schools should ban lipstick
- Artificial intelligence can be useful
- What is the catchphrase of your grandmother or grandfather?
- Are you a quaeker
- Which agency should regulate social media companies?
- Amd is not discovered in the assassin creed
- Are WhatsApp calls traceable
- What is kabaddi
- Psychopaths narcissists and sociopaths are mostly rich
- What is the cheapest restaurant in Kiev
- Where can I get a social bot
- When is the next Crypto Bullrun
- What is a fork in APL
- Which private college is best for BAMS
- Disney is the company too powerful
- What is the point of culture
- What is Kopfkaese made of